William J. Troy joined ASQ in 2014 following a 38-year U.S. Army career, from which he retired as Lieutenant General (three stars). His most recent position was director of U.S. Army Staff at the Pentagon. Troy served in Europe, the United States, Asia, and the Middle East. At ASQ, Troy directs the organization’s mission to advance quality and quality tools worldwide. His duties include ensuring the alignment of the strategies and goals established by ASQ’s board of directors. He also works with ASQ’s volunteer member leaders and represents ASQ as a board member of the ANSI-ASQ National Accreditation Board, Exemplar Global, and the Baldridge Foundation.
– Troy was director of the U.S. Army Staff from August 2010 until July 2013. He led 20,000 military staff and civilians, assisted in the oversight of a $5 billion budget, and ensured the integration and coordination of policies, plans, and decisions affecting the entire U.S. Army.
– Prior to his tour as director, he served as the Commanding General, U.S. Army Alaska, where he was responsible for the combat readiness of 12,000 soldiers, and the welfare of 20,000 family members.
– He has held a number of significant general officer positions on behalf of the U.S. military, including Chief of Staff for III Corps in Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom.
– Troy was commissioned in the infantry from the United States Military Academy, where he received a bachelor’s of science degree. He received master’s degrees from the Naval Postgraduate School, and the Naval War College, and was a Senior Fellow at Harvard University’s Weatherhead Center for International Affairs.
– He is the recipient of numerous awards, including the Bronze Star, the Combat Infantryman Badge, the Ranger Tab, Master Parachute Wings, the Distinguished Service Medal, and Commander in the French National Order of Merit.